Thursday 21 March 2013

Optimism!

This is going to seem like a rather different post to normal - going off on a tangent some would say (me!?!?! Never!!). Nevertheless it is a little different and it's been spurned on by horoscopes, a simple gift and spam emails....a strange combination you may say but all aligning together perfectly!

I don't read Horoscopes religiously however when i did happen to read mine in February on a very boring afternoon i couldn't help but feel intrigued and excited about what it said was in store for me. I realised some time ago that the things i love doing are all centered around creativity. Singing, photography, cooking, writing all give me an outlet to express myself and to be truly happy i need a good measure of each of these to keep me going. The horoscope in question alluded to this exactly and that this year would very special and important in releasing these skills to their full potential. Exciting stuff!

A few weeks ago my sister in law was looking at some of my pictures from Paris, and happened to like some specific shots. As she continually feeds me with pizza and wine whenever I'm there i thought it was time to give her a gift. The decision led me to my first ever picture being printed on canvas. I was thrilled she loved it but i missed something really important about that process. That it was a huge cornerstone for me to see something i had captured...that one moment in time...made into something that other people could enjoy.

Finally i received an email yesterday from Happify! Initially it looked like some standard spam message but I'm glad i took the time to read it properly. I will blog about it separately as its deserving of a separate post...well that and I'm only on my second day! Happify looks at the science of happiness, that it is a choice we make and something that we should work at. It's been really really interesting so far and the challenges they give you really force you to think about gratitude and what it means to be happy.

How are these all related i hear you ask?! Well, I honestly believe that we all have a path laid out for us, not set in stone but a journey that we are all meant to take. My photography has been one of those journeys and whilst I'm no David Bailey i have to learnt to be confident in my ability but that aside it has bought me moments and memories that i will never lose...that are stored in pictures for years to come. The gift that i gave was the point at which other people could share in those moments.

It's sometimes hard to appreciate what we have, what we are able to do and the things that really matter in life. We all have our paths to take, some of them aren't easy and leave you feeling lost. But happiness is a choice, it is a behaviour and we can all improve at it, starting with simple things like a photo! Whilst it doesn't take away the difficult times it helps you focus on the small things for which we should be grateful but that we can miss so easily!


No comments:

Post a Comment